Thursday, July 22, 2010

NATURE'S CANDY


One of the many things I look forward to during the summer months is the wonderful fruits that are found in the grocery store.  My favorite fruit of all times of course is watermelon.  So many of my childhood memories, with my parents and grandparents include summer days on the back porch eating a huge slice of watermelon with a box of salt by my side (yep!! I said it -- SALT!!) .  Of course, I still enjoy watermelon now - but without the salt.  I can't imagine destroying the wonderful sweetness of watermelon by sprinkling it with salt. 

I trully believe that fresh fruit is a gift from God.  He knows that we crave sweetness in our tummies and our lives -- thus -- fruit is born.  This summer my daughter and I have spent many days sitting on our patio - enjoying a slice of ice cold watermelon, on a hot Texas day.  I hope that I have created a good "watermelon" memory for her to share with her friends and family one day.



2 comments:

  1. Yum! Great photos!


    xx
    Nikki


    http://styleandcharm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was growing up, my grandfather owned a farm in central Alabama. Every year he grew watermelon (yellow and red meat), sugarcane, peas, beans, cantaloupe, corn, peanuts...anything you can imagine, he grew.

    He grew acres and acres of watermelon and actually fed most of them to his pigs. We ate them too.......the watermelon and the pigs. There is nothing but good food coming from a family farm, nothing but good stuff.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails